Saturday, August 20, 2011

 

Abbsetta.....

For the 3rd time in 4 years, Julie and I have loaded up the RAV and moved a child to college. This time it's our youngest, Abbey. She is a member of the Universaity of Dayton's class of 2015. Julie is heading up with her as I type and I'll be joining them early this afternoon. Something tells me it is going to be very difficult to leave her behind when we head for home later today.

Abbey is a great kid. She did very well in high school and I'm confident she will continue to do well in college. She plans to study engineering while thinking about possibly going on to med school to become a Dermotologist. I don't worry about her making friends, she was senior class president and voted 'Miss Outgoing' by her high school peers. The last couple years at home have been a lot of fun as her brothers were off at school so we had the opportunity to do many, many fun things with her. (She may disagree with this statement but deep down I know a small part of her has enjoyed being an 'only child' even if it was only for a couple of years.) She had the extra car to herself, we'd go out to dinner a lot, we never missed any of her games or school events - we were able to be there for her for all her activities.

In 2005 when I was first diagnosed with lymphoma, we spent a great deal of time together. Our boys were in high school and had a lot of things going on so they were not home as often, Julie was running her own business and spent many nights in our upstairs office working on projects. Abbey was in the 7th grade so she really couldn't escape sitting in the family with me watching television night after night. We would watch Survivor, American Idol, The Office; every night it was a different show. The toughest part about my situation was I hated being alone and since every other person in our family kept pretty busy, by process of elimination Abbey was usually the one who got to keep dad company. I told her earlier this year how much those moments meant to me - I know at that time I needed her more than she needed me. She helped me get through a very difficult time more than she will ever know.

It's going to be a tough day, today. Unfortunately, when we drive home she won't be there to keep us company, she won't be there to cheer me up. I remember the day we brough her home from the hospital - Judd was 2 months shy of turning 4, Aaron was only 16 months old. They were quite a handful at the time but I distinctly recall thinking that I dreaded the day they would all be gone. Today marks the true beginning of that end. Sure, she'll be home for holidays and the summer. Judd graduated from college in May and has moved back home but he's all over the place working, hanging with friends. Aaron has two years of college left but he's going to Madrid for the semester so we won't see him for 4 months. Even though we officially aren't empty nesters we're getting pretty close to those days becoming a reality. I don't like it. I still don't want to be alone.

I've already shed a few tears this morning and I know there will be more later this afternoon. I saw some sadness in Abbey's eyes this morning, as well. I know she's excited about her college years but she's going to miss the comfort and safety of our happy, little home. All I know is I've watched an adorable little girl grow into a beautiful young lady in the bedroom next door and tonight she's not going to be there anymore - that is a hard reality to accept. She hasn't been gone an hour and i'm already looking forward to her first visit home. And I know one thing is certain, she will continue to make us proud. She is a wonderful person. Good luck in college, Abbsetta...WE LOVE YOU!!!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?