Tuesday, January 11, 2011

 

It's a Snow Day....

This morning I watched the 'school closing scroll' to see if Xavier was going to be closed. At about 7:45 I decided it probably wasn't goin to happen so I hopped in the car and headed south for for my 21 mile commute. The drive really wasn't that bad, it took about an hour. I settle into my office, get a few things started and the next thing I know, people are telling the University just closed! So, it's back out to the car for another 21 mile drive which will probably take a bit longer than the drive down here. So I thought I might hang around a bit, head over to the gym around 11:30 to get a work out in and then head home. Sounds like a fun dasy, huh?

I hope everyone had a Happy New Year. It really took me a little longer to bounce back from my 5th treatment so I really didn't feel very good throughout the end of our holiday vacation, in fact, it wasn't until January 5th that I really felt like the worst of the treatment was behind me. I did get my blood checked and everything looked great. My 6th and final treatment is scheduled for January 27 and 28 and if everything check out, I should be finished - that would be quite a relief. i've been dealing with this relapse since last April and it would be awesome to have it behind me. As I've said before, here's hoping for an 'unremarkable' CT scan in early February.

We saw a couple very good movies recently - 'The Fighter' starring Mark Wahlberg and Chritian Bale was very well done and Bale will most likely win an Academy Award for his performance as a washed up boxer addicted to crack - not the most uplifting movie character ever but a tremendous performance nonetheless. Look for Melissa Leo (as Wahlberg and Bale's mother) and Amy Adams (Wahlberg's girlfriend) to also get nominations. We also saw 'True Grit', the remake of the John Wayne classic which won him his only Oscar. I've never seen the original but it's hard to imagine Jeff Bridges took the same route Wayne did in playing Rooster Cogburn. He may get a nomination for best actor but I think the most likely nominee from this movie is 14 year old, Hallie Steinfield, who played the spunky daughter out to avenge his father's murder. The academy loves spunky performances by young actresses.

I really enjoyed watching Ohio State finally beat an SEC team in a bowl game. They tried to give it away but a gutsy defensive call which called for the defensive end to drop back into pass coverage lead to an interception late in the game which preserved the Ohio State win. Many have been critical of Jim Tressel's decision to allow 5 players suspended for the first 5 games in 2011 to play in the Sugar Bowl but it means they all come back and serve their suspenisons, I think it was a good decision.

The boys are still home on break but will be heading back to their respective schools later this week. It's been great having them home but I do think they are anxious to get back to class. For Judd, this will be his final semester - he is scheduled to graduate on Mother's Day - unbelieveable.

Abbey will be heading to Italy next month with some of her MND classmates - she's participating in the Model UN program and will be there for 7 or 8 days. The house will be very quiet with none of the kids around - almost eerie!

Well, it's getting close to 11:30 so I think I'll end. Hope all is well with you and will try to put up another post over the weekend!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?