Monday, June 07, 2010

 

No Change/We're Ready to Ride.....

Well, I wish I could say my recent CT scans indicated that the swollen lymph nodes have shrunk as a result of the 4 Rituxan treatments in April but apparently that is not the case. The good news is they aren't any bigger but their size is basically the same as they were in March, prior to the 4 treatments. A nurse from Dr. Leming's office called and told me his response (Dr. Leming's) was that the scans were what he expected. Before the treatments he told me the Rituxan should do the trick in knocking the lymphoma back down but I would have expected that that would mean the nodes would shrink. That obviously didn't happen. I do recall during my previous treatments that some of the nodes didn't return to normal size due to scarring - I have no idea if that might be the case this time; a PET scan would probably be the only way to answer that question. So I didn't exactly get the news I wanted to hear but at least nothing got any bigger. I also learned that the Rituxan can stay in your system for as many as 3 to 6 months so maybe there is still a chance the nodes will shrink. The good news is I continue to feel fine - as I've mentioned numerous times, that's what's so frustrating about this whole thing - I've never really felt bad. I have a FOLLOW-UP appointment scheduled for June 23 but I plan to give the office a call tomorrow to see if I can talk with Dr. Leming and get a few questions answered. Bottom line - I really don't know much more about how we'll move forward - all I do know is there is no change from the last scans.

On a more positive note, we had our final, long training ride prior to the Ride to Montauk on June 19. Saturday was a hot, muggy and rainy ride but everyone was able to finish and should feel confident about finishing the 100 or 145 mile route up on Long Island. I think we'll have 24 riders participating in the event and we're on target to raise over $100,000!!! Julie and I also got tickets to the David Letterman Show and will be in the audience on June 17 when Dave welcomes Miley Cyrus to the program. I have to admit Miley ranks down at the bottom of the list of entertainers I'd like to see in person but Dave Letterman is up near the top so I guess it all balances out. At any rate, be sure to tune in the show on June 17 - we'll be in the crowd wearing our Team in Training apparel.

Finally, the only way we're going to get rid of blood related cancers like follicular lymphoma is to continue supplying scientists and doctors with the funds needed to continue their research. If you'd like to help us in this effort please visit my Team in Training page at the following link.

http://pages.teamintraining.org/soh/montauk10/vhopkins

Thans for checking in and your continued support, as always peace and blessings to all.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?