Saturday, May 29, 2010

 

And I would ride 100 miles/Greatest games....

Only 2 training rides left before the big ride to Montauk. Today we rode 100 miles and I'm not going to lie, it was a tough ride. The heat, humidity and 8 New Castle Brown Ales I drank last night made this morning's ride somewhat of a challenge but I pulled into our drive at 3:05 this afternoon just as my odometer turned over to 100 miles. Total time was about 7 hours and 50 minutes while actual time in the saddle was closer to 6 and a half hours - needless to say we took quite a few breaks today. The good news is I kept myself pretty well hydrated and never experienced any cramping. The bad news is I'm sick of Gatorade and if it's this hot and humid on June 19 it may be very difficult to do the 145 mile ride. We'll see what the weather is going to be like as that date approaches.

I'd like to thank Jim Connell for lining me up with 2 tickets to the David Letterman show on June 17. Jim works at Channel 12 and he was kind enough to get the tickets through his work. I applied for tickets via the CBS web site but I haven't heard anything from that route yet. I hope I'm able to get 4 more tix so some of the other folks traveling to New York with us can also attend. If you have any connections, please let me know!

Back to my post from Monday, I'm was happy to see that Erin Andrews did not get the viewer vote on Dancing With the Stars - Nichole was clearly the best dancer (even if she did seem to possess an unfair advantage) and it would have been a joke if she was not voted the champ. As for American Idol, Lee's win was a surprise but I guess he was just a bit more mainstream than Crystal and in the final analysis, I think that's why she didn't win. I do think she's poised to have a nice career, she is obviously very talented and it will be itneresting to hear the original songs that Idol would not allow her to perform on the show. And with Simon signing off, I think Idol has jumped the shark and its demise will most likely occur over the next several years.

Finally, a new top ten...the 10 greatest games I have ever witnessed in person. As you might expect, there are quite a few Ohio State games on this list...

10. 1988/Ohio State 36 LSU 33. The Buckeyes overcame a 12 point deficit with under 3 minutes to play to beat the Tigers in Columbus. My dad wanted to beat the traffic so he left the game with 3 minutes to play and didn't realize Ohio State had won until he read the Sunday morning paper.

9. 1977/Oklahoma 29 Ohio State 28. One of two games on the list where Ohio State losses. The Sooners kicker hits a 41 yard FG in the closing seconds to win the game - the kick would have been good from 60 yards. Awesome game.

8. 2005/Texas 25 Ohio State 22. The other loss. Vince Young leads a late TD drive to nip the Bucks in Columbus. Texas would go on to win the National Championship.

7. 1979/Ohio State 18 Michigan 15. Late blocked punt and TD return gives OSU a win in Ann Arbor, an undefeated regular season and a trip to the Rose Bowl.

6. 1986/Ohio State 23 Iowa 12. Buckeyes down the #1 ranked Hawkeyes in a down pour at Ohio Stadium.

5. 2002/Ohio State 14 Michigan 9. Game wasn't decided until an interception in the end zone on the final play of the game. Ohio State clinches an undefeated season and a trip to the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl to play Miami for the National Championship.

4. 2007/Ohio State beats Xavier in OT at Rupp Arena. The Bucks were all but dead but Mike Conley JR. led a 9 point comeback in the final 2:50 of regulation play and won going away in OT. Given my admiration for both teams, this was probably the most difficult game I've ever witnessed. In the end I wanted Ohio State to win but I felt horrible that Xavier lost after playing so well.

3. 1990/Cincinnati 2 Pittsburgh 1. The Reds beat the Pirates in game six of the NLCS on a combined 1 hitter and a home run robbing play by Glenn Braggs in the 9th inning. The Reds clinched a berth in the world series and swept the favored A's to their last World Series championship.

2. 1997/ Ohio State 20 Arizona State 17. Joe Germaine's 6 yard TD pass to David Boston with 19 seconds left to play gave the Buckeyes a hard earned win in the 1997 Rose Bowl over the ASU Sun Devils. Their is no greater venue to watch a football game than Pasadena's Rose Bowl.

1. 2003/ Ohio State 31 Miami (Fla) 24. It took 2 overtimes to settle this one and I doubt I'll ever see a better game as Ohio State clinched their first National Championship in almost 40 years by beating the heavily favored 'Canes in the BCS Championship game at Tempe's Sun Devil Stadium.. Craig Krenzel solidified his status in Ohio State lore as he delivered one of the guttiest performances by a Buckeye QB in OSU football history.

That'll do it for now. Everyone have a safe Memorial Day weekend!

Comments:
You had both bases (nipples) covered for "Number 4." Too bad Miller didn't foul when he had the chance and too bad Cahill didn't blow the whistle on Oden when he had the chance. Still, a great game!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?