Thursday, March 25, 2010

 

Well, I Guess I Should Have Expected a Surprise...

As I mentioned in my previous blog entry, yesterday I had a follow-up appointment with Dr. Leming to go over the results of my recent CT scans. Unfortunately, after nearly 4 years of positive visits I learned there are several lymph nodes in my abdomen that are showing enough negative activity that Dr. Leming has advised I have 4 Rituxan treatments to 'knock them back down'. My initial reaction to this news was a word that starts with 'f' and ends in 'uck' and I'm not talking about 'firetruck' but Dr. Leming assures me the Rituxan treatments should do the job so that's the approach I'm going to take. The bottom line is, On April 6th I'll have the first of 4 weekly Rituxan treatments and things will hopefully be back to 'normal' (whatever the hell that is!) by the end of April.

As the news of this little setback hits the streets I've been overwhelmed by the wonderful show of love and support we've received from family, friends and colleagues. My phone and e-mail have been ringing and buzzing all day long and I can't thank everyone enough for taking the time to check in with me. As I've said many times before, it's comforting to know we have the support of many, many wonderful people.

I'm actually in very good health (if you ignore the fact I have lymphoma festering in a few lymph nodes); I feel good, my training is going great for my upcoming cycle ride and the treatments should not interfere with anything I have planned to do. And I've always expected a return of the lymphoma, it's basically the nature of the disease I have. I'm just grateful that there is a drug like Rituxan that will continue to knock the lymphoma back down on those occasions it decides to flare up. As always, I'd appreciate all the prayers you can offer up for me and my family. We're all doing fine but until we have follow-up scans and see the results of the treatments, things will be a bit 'edgy' for a while.

I think that's it for now. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers - I'll be sure to update the blog as I head into this next leg of the journey - here's hoping it's a very, short leg.

Peace and blessings to all and Go Muskies!! Go Bucks!!!

Vince

Comments:
Vince,
You are in our thoughts in prayers You know Rituxan will do it's job!!
Keep up that biking. Someday Dave will be able to catch up to you!
thinking of you,
Love and prayers,
Maureen and Dave
 
Vince -
We were saddened when we received the email from Julie that your disease has reared its ugly head again. The treatment has worked for you in the past and God knows you have many many folks praying that Rituxan will do its job again. Our prayers are again with you Julz and the kids but also the doctors to return to you to good health. Good luck with all your training! Love, Jim and Di
 
hi! My name is Angela, I am 16. Fortunatly I didn't battle with any types of cancer, but I have almost gone through a heart transplant. I just read your last post and I am so sorry. I know it can be depressing to receive bad news. I will be praying for you! God bless Angela
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?