Monday, January 25, 2010

 

Peyton Manning/Now We're Talking Movies...

Alright, I admit it; Peyton Manning is unbelievable. I've never liked the guy because I've always felt he's gotten a free pass by being Archie Manning's son but after yesterday I give up - the guy is amazing. He was putting passes in spots that only his receivers could catch; the coverage was pretty damn good and he continually threaded the needle - he was simply unbeatable. I don't see any way that the Saints can win the Super Bowl short of knocking Manning out of the game early. I fully expect the Colts to win and when they do, Manning will be my #2 QB of all time behind Joe Montana. I surrender Peyton - you are great.

Now it's time to begin a new countdown - my top 100 movies of all time. Obviously a key criteria is that I have to have seen the movie in order for me to list. There are quite a few classic movies that appear on most top 100 movie lists that I haven't seen - 'Lawrence of Arabia' would be a prime example. Now that I have Netflix I hope to catch a lot of these old movies and as I do I'll adjust my list. Obviously my #100 movie may not be there for long. Judd and Rich have already said they're going to play along - this could get very interesting.

#100. Finding Nemo (2003) - Pixar has had a remarkable string of hits and this story about a father clown fish trying to find his lost son, Nemo, is one of my favorites. The animation is amazing and Albert Brooks and Ellen DeGeneris provide the lead voices for this heartwarming and clever film.

#99. A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum (1966) - This was a pretty racy film when it came out in 1966 and I saw it when I was 8. I remember my dad was pretty upset when he found out I did. Based on the broadway musical of the same name, it featured an all-star cast and told the story of a Roman slave trying to earn his freedom by helping his master find the girl of his dreams. Great music and also very funny. I've probably seen this movie over a dozen times and made Abbey watch it a couple years ago - she was not as enthusiastic about it as I was.

#98. Cat Ballou (1965) - Western about a young school teacher (Jane Fonda) trying to get revenge for the murder of her father. Lee Marvin won the Academy Award for Best Actor playing twin brothers; one a vicious hit man, the other a broken down-drunk. Very funny and Marvin steals the show when he rides off on his equally drunk horse.

#97. Oliver (1968) - Lavish musical production that won Best Picture in 1968. This movie is close to three hours long and the first time I saw it, I stayed for 3 showings. (It was easier to do back when I was 10). Anyway, my mom was quite pissed at me because I took the bus to get to the theatre and I didn't get home until almost 10 pm. Mark Lester played Oliver while Ron Moody and Jack Wild were perfect as Fagan and the Artful Dodger.

#96. Slap Shot (1977) - Paul Newman plays a washed up hockey player/coach in this classic from the 70's. Newman is solid as the coach but the characters who stole the show were the Hanson Brothers; the hired hockey goons brought in by the team's owner to generate fan interest for his lousy team.

#95. There's Something About Mary (1998) - Ben Stiller is perfect as the class nerd who decides to find the girl of his dreams 15 years after high school. This movie has some of the funniest scenes ever filmed with a tremendous supporting cast who brought life to the bizarre characters who made up Mary's (Cameron Diaz) circle of family and friends. Nothing was sacred in this movie and the sight gags were hysterical.

#94. The Verdict (1982) - Great court room drama starring Paul Newman as a broken down lawyer who get's handed a case that could turn his entire life around. The only problem his he has to go up against the 'greatest law team in the world' superbly headed up by James Mason. This movie hooks you in from the start and Newman's performance is one of the best of his career.

#93. American Beauty (1999) - The lead character, played brilliantly by Kevin Spacey, is a complete head case - burned out on the every day rat race who quits his job and starts to work out to get himself nice and buff to impress his 17 year-old daughter's best friend...and he's the good guy in the film. This movie captured the Academy Award for Best Picture and Spacey won Best Actor - both well deserved.

#92. Little Children (2006) I'm a big Kate Winslet fan and this is one of her best movies - I actually thought she was better in this than The Reader. The story revolves around two lonely, married individuals who feel no connection to their spouses, they both have a child and they meet at the neighborhood pool, soon after they begin an affair. In the meantime, a convicted pedophile has been released from prison and the people of the neighborhood in which they live are none too excited that this sicko is be coming back to live with his mother. A very disturbing film with tremendous performances by Winslet and Jackie Earle Haley (of Bad News Bears and Breaking Away fame) who plays the creepy pedophile. I will say this film is not for everybody.

#91. Elf (2003) - Every year there are several movies that come out at Christmas time to challenge the timeless classics. Elf is one that actually delivered. The story of a misplaced elf who leaves the North Pole to find his true family is a heart warmer due to what I consider the best performance of Will Ferrell's career. Buddy is believable because of the innocence in Ferrell's performance and the supporting cast of James Caan, Zooey Deschanel, Mary Steenburgen and Peter Dinkelage all rise to his level in this film that will be a holiday viewing staple for many years to come.

Ten down, 90 to go - tune in tomorrow for #90 - #81.

Comments:
I'm glad to see that you've finally come around to Peyton. He is the best celebrity advertiser out there.

100-91:

#100 - The Wrestler (2008) - The first on the list is a pretty depressing movie about a washed up pro wrestler played extremely well by Mickey Rourke. It's about his struggle of coping with life without wrestling and his tarnished relationship with his daughter.

#99 - Meet The Parents (2000) - This movie is a hilariously awkward flick. It hits home to anyone who has ever had to "meet the parents." Robert De Niro shows that he has a comedic side, as Ben Stiller proves that he is one of the best comedy actors in recent history.

#98 - The Departed (2006) - The departed is an intense movie about two people playing rats. I am a big DiCaprio fan and he delivers a home run here, but I have to say that Mark Wahlberg steals the movie playing the hard ass Sergeant Dignam. It was Scorese's first and only Academy Award for Best Director and the film also won the 2006 Best Picture.

#97 - Superbad (2007) - McLovin, McLovin, Mclovin. This comedy about three unpopular kids trying to supply an entire party with alcohol is one of the most recent comedies to find success. Jonah Hill and Michael Cera play the leads but the movie is all about Christopher Michael-Pincz's character Fogell, or as he is known in Hawaii, McLovin.

#96 - Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) - Enough with the new millennium movies. This sequel benefited largely from the technological advancements made between 1984 and 1991. In it, Arnold's "Terminator" comes back but this time to protect John Connor, who is played by Edward Furlong of "American History X" fame. The only thing that sucked was the mom.. she was a psycho.

#95 - 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - I don't know what it was about this movie but I was drwan to the weird sci-fi of it. Hal 9000, a super intelligent super computer attempting to take control of a space station, is one of the greatest villains ever.

#94 - Amadeus (1984) - This was the 1984 best picture winner about the personal life of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. It portrays Mozart, played by Tom Hulce (who received a nomination for Best Actor), as a "rock-star" of sorts. Very entertaining.

#93 - Wayne's World (1992) - I really, really like Dana Carvey in this movie as Wayne's best bud Garth. About one of the most classic movie scenes ever occurs as the crew is driving to a rock-n-roll ragger singing "Bohemian Rhapsody."

#92 - Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) - Jim Carrey introduces us to one of the most timeless movie characters ever. Ace is an animal nut charged with the task of locating the lost mascot of the Miami Dolphins.

#91 - The Matrix (1999) - Despite the fact that I'm not the biggest Keanu Reeves fan, I can look past if for this creative sci-fi. In a year of phenominal movies (Fight Club, American Beauty) it still managed to pull a good deal of attention. Hugo Weavings Agent Smith is bad-ass.
 
Nice start Binks - I remember you watching The Wrestler during our Hilton Head trip. I thought Robert DeNiro stole the show in Meet the Parents, we already have a couple crossovers which you'll see later on my list; 2001 and The Matrix both lost me shortly aftere the opening credits.
 
There are 3 crossovers that I can foresee
 
Rich is in on the countdown... Vince had two in his countdown that I completely missed, and has me reconsidering mine... cat Ballou is very funny, and Jane Fonda was georgeous before she got all political on us.

Slaspshot is another one... as I'm a big fan of Paul Newman.

Judd's list has some I've never watched that I should have... the Wrestler and the nmatrix. I am reconsidering my list with Ace Ventura... which is sophmoric but really really funny.
 
Here's my #100 - #91

100 - Citizen Kane - It’s been said that you can’t take any top 100 films list seriously unless it includes Citizen Kane. Admittedly, I’ve never watched it. But I can’t omit it, because everyone else says it’s just so good. Whatever… it’s on the list… get off my back.
99 - Die Hard – It’s formulaic, but I love it. Bruce Willis was born to play the wise-cracking off-duty cop who finds himself in the middle of a terrorist robbery. The pace of the film is frenetic, and there’s just enough action and comedy to keep you engaged and entertained. I know I shouldn’t like Bruce Willis… but I do.
98 - The Princess Bride – It’s a funny movie that doesn’t try to do too much. A fairy tale with good guys to root for and bad guys to root against. You know all along that the good guy wins… but it’s a fun journey watching it unfold.
97 - Terminator – It’s a clever premise… a future society that has the ability to time travel goes back in time to eliminate the mother of the man who ultimately overthrows an oppressive government. Arnold Schwarzenegger is bad-ass and Linda Hamilton is hot.
96 - Very Bad Things – It starts off as a wild and crazy weekend in Vegas that goes horribly wrong. Horribly wrong. And every step towards getting away with a crime… lands them two steps back and into the mire. Daniel Stern is brilliant… and Christian Slater isn’t nearly as annoying as he usually is.
95 – Dogma – Some people like Kevin Smith… some do not. I happen to think he’s brilliant. This is a star-studded cast that looks at two fallen angels who have found a loophole that could relieve them from a life in purgatory. Chris Rock is hilarious… Linda Fiorentini is hot… and Jay and Silent Bob are pretty funny too. If you can get past the notion that it’s sorta blasphemy… and that Alanis Morrisette plays the pivotal role of God… it’s a great movie.
94 - Shaun of the Dead – I should have this one higher. It’s a guilty pleasure of mine. A great concept… a Night of the Living Dead comedy, with Queen songs in it. Set in England, the zombies come out and it’s up to Shaun to deliver his mother, best friend , girlfriend and others to safety. Doesn’t sound funny… but it is… it really is.
93 - Pee Wee’s Big Adventure – Forget about the whole self-pleasuring debacle in a Tampa movie theater. This movie is amazingly brilliant. Paul Reubens as Pee-Wee carries the movie and introduces us to some great characters… I can watch this thing 100 times and it’s still very funny.
92 - Raising Arizona – The bottom of this list… the first ten… includes movies many people don’t necessarily think are great. This is a prime example. The first 20 minutes of this are absolutely brilliant… then the movies slows to a much more leisurely pace. It’s peppered with great lines, and it’s probably the best thing Nicolas Cage ever did. Holly Hunter and John Goodman are also very strong.
91 – Spiderman – Spiderman was my favorite comic book on sale at the old UDF at the corner of Main and Fernwood. Once Flo left the employ of UDF, the other ladies that worked the counter were very nice… My favorite was Rosie… who would let me hang out there and read comic books. The movie is true to the book and tells the story of the origin of the character. Is it the greatest movie ever? No. But it is among my favorites.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?