Saturday, January 16, 2010

 

Foot in Mouth Disease/NFL Playoffs/#60 to #51....

One thing I need to understand when I'm posting on the old blog is that I'm throwing this out for the entire world to see. I doubt my readership is global in scope but I need to realize that some of my comments may be read by people who just might take offense to some of my opinions. I don't think that should keep me from expressing my opinions but in the future I hope to do it with a tad more diplomacy.

I wanted to post about he NFL Playoffs yesterday but wasn't able to. Consequently I'm getting this out after the first game, Arizona vs New Orleans, was played. I didn't think the Cardinals had the defense to beat the Saints but I also didn't expect them to lose by 31 points - it looks like New Orleans is focused to make a run to the Super Bowl.

Tonight's game featuring Indianapolis against Baltimore pits two teams that I really don't care for. I'm not a big Peyton Manning fan and Baltimore is one of the hated rivals of our Cincinnati Bengals. With that said, I'm pulling for the Ravens - I thought it was embarrassing how the Colts basically threw away an opportunity to go undefeated and I'm hoping Baltimore sends them to a season ending third straight loss.

Tomorrow, I'm taking Dallas and San Diego. Nothing would please me more than to see Brett Favre play the last game of his career tomorrow in the Metrodome and Rex Ryan have that cocky smirk wiped off his face by Phillip Rivers and his Charger team mates. Barack Obama still might invite Rex to the White House in February but I'm doubting it will be because he's the coach of the Super Bowl champs.

Here are the next 10 songs in my countdown, following this edition we'll be half way to #1...

#60. O-o-h, Child - The Five Stairsteps. About a year before the Jackson 5 emerged as a musical sensation, this family act from Chicago made a huge splash with O-o-h, Child. The big difference between the two sibling acts; the Stairsteps basically went the way of countless other One Hit Wonders while the Jacksons became legends. Regardless, they'll always have this catchy pop tune that climbed it's way up charts while providing inspiration to Michael and his brothers.

#59. Please, Please, Me - The Beatles. The title track of The Beatles second LP. Another early classic and John Lennon's vocals are spotless.

#58. Hero - Mariah Carey. When our mother died, my brother put together a CD consisting of songs that all my brothers and sisters selected as tunes that reminded us of her. We each selected 2 songs and 'Hero' was one of my songs. When I was a boy, my mom WAS my hero but when I listen to 'Hero' today it's almost as if my mom is speaking through Mariah Carey's because the message is similar to what a mother would say to her child; look inside yourself and you'll find that you, too, are a hero.

#57. Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie. Easily the best song of the later days of Queen, this collaboration with David Bowie also had a great video which was played constantly in the early days of MTV. I hated Vanilla Ice for using the rhythm of 'Pressure' in his putrid 'Ice, Ice Baby' because every time it came on the radio I thought it was the Queen/Bowie collaboration only to be disappointed that it was the tremendously, untalented Iceman.

#56. London Calling - The Clash. A powerfully raw anthem from the greatest band of the punk era. The Clash had the goods and their 'London Calling' LP is one of the top ten albums of all-time.

#55. House of Cards - Mary Chapin Carpenter. This song reminds me of my childhood. Growing up in a family of 8 children, our house always seemed on the verge of collapse and the line - 'that's the place you shoved your doubts and hid your ugly scars, God forbid if word got out 'bout your house of cards.' is tremendously numbing.

#54. Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen. My first night as a student at Ohio State, I met a girl on my floor from New Jersey who said her favorite musician was Bruce Springsteen - I had never heard of him. She put on 'Born to Run' and I was blown away - just an awesome tune, I've been a fan ever since. What happened to the girl? The next day she got up in the morning, packed her bags and moved back to New Jersey - she lasted one day.

#53. When You Say Nothing At All - Alison Krauss. I wish this song would have been around back when we got married, it would have been my choice as the first song we danced to as a married couple. A beautiful tune with tremendous lyrics; "The smile on your face lets me know that you need me, there's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me, the touch of your hand says you'll catch me where ever I fall - you say it best when you say nothing st all." That truly says it all.

#52. I Should Have Known Better - The Beatles. I'm running out of things to say about The Beatles and I'm not quite halfway through the countdown. Again, John Lennon delivers the vocals and I love the harmonica lead in at the beginning.

#51. I Want You Back - The Jackson 5. This was the hit that introduced the Jackson 5 to the music world. No one could believe that Michael was only 10 when this song was recorded but no one could have imagined how influential his music would be over the next 40 years. From the opening intro music, you knew this song - and Michael - were both something special.

That completes the first 50 songs! Right now the Buckeyes are in a battle with Badgers from Wisconsin so I'm going to sign off for now - let's go Bucks!!!

Comments:
Thank goodness you missed yesterday because I didn't even get a chance to check as I'm in Tennessee. But here I am to round off my top 50:

#60 Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
#59 Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - The Beatles
#58 Zephyr Song - Red Hot Chili Peppers
#57 Two Princes - Spin Doctors - You may not know the title but I'm pretty sure all readers have heard it. Look it up on YouTube.
#56 Rocketman (I Think It's Going To Be A Long Long Time) - Elton John - I'll admit this song would be much higher had I not heard it live..
#55 5446 That's My Number/Ball & Chain - Sublime
#54 Warning - Notrious B.I.G.
#53 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John - This is the song that got me into Elton John.
#52 Billie Joel - Michael Jackson
#51 Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy - Elton John
 
Hey Vinnie. I was at the lake with Bill listening to my new I-pod touch with over 9000 songs on it and I said to Bill, you know who has a lot of songs that I like but I don't have - Vinnie! Now, I can just have your list and make sure they're on my IPod. I'll name the playlist "Vinnie's top 100". Thanks!
Mary
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Allright... so I'm reading these lists over the weekend and it occurs to me that if I were to do a best 100 of all times list, I would approach it differently.

So as absurdly impossible as it is to put together a list, I endeavored to do so.

I'll get to that in a few, however, I did want to continue my critique of what you guys have done thus far.

Judd gets credit for reaching into the 90's to pull out the Spin Doctors... who had two gerat hits and then pulled a DB Cooper and faded into obscurity. I like Little Miss Can't Be Wrong better, but the Two Princes is pretty good.

Judd also scores high points for a Post 1966 Beatles song, which in my opinion is really when they started to make great songs instead of just marketable songs. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds is off a great album, and you really can't go wrong picking any of them. The problem is that the album Sgt. peppers should almost be considered one entity instead of 12 or 14 different songs.

I like Elton John an awful lot too... I'll be interested to see who wins in the race of most sonmgs by a single artist... Judd with Elton John songs or Vince with the Beatles...

Vince gets points for the Five Stairsteps... which has one of the great lines... "We'll walk hand in hand in a beautiful sun..." I always liked that phrase.

Born to Run is a great add... When you say nothing at all makes my list... just because it's pretty.... and Under pressure may very well be the most underrated song in Queen's repertoire... It's perfect in building up the tension right up to the Under pressure fade out. And David Bowie rocks in it.

If I'm scoring... I have to give it to Vince... which would make it 4 - 1... but hey.. .Judd's always been a second half team.
 
Now... for my list... I had a few rules... The first rule was... obey all rules... the second rule was... do not write on the walls as it makes them hard to clean.

Rule 3... no more than 5 songs from any artist. I have a hard time deciding if Day in the Life is better or worse than Lucy in the Sky... their both great. The irrefutable fact is that the group as a whole had a profound impact on music... and in the interest of getting more songs in the list... I capped myself at 5 per group. That way some dark horses make it in.


100 The Streak (Ray Stevens)
Yes.. I know it's a novelty song... but here;'s the thing... the first time I heard this song was on a stormy April evening in 1974... My dad was working in Iowa at the time and my mom was not home, she was doing something with a friend of hers. The TV went nuts about a tornado plowing through Xenia, and we were scared out of our wits. We all huddled in my mom and dad's room listening to the radio... and this siong came on. For a few minutes I forgot about being scared out of my mind and laughed at the song. I still think it's a funny song, and it makes my list.
99 Kyle's Mom (South Park) They can't all be masterpieces, but you have to admit... for a movie soundtrack.. this song is pretty darn funny.

98 I Will Always Love You (Dolly Parton) Whitney Houston murdered this song... but Dolly's heartfelt delivery makes it a classic. You believe her at the end when she says she'll always love you. At least I did,

97 He Stopped Loving Her Today (George Jones)The opening line of this song is... "He said I'll love you 'til I die... and the thing is... he did... it hits you about halfway through that the guy was tormented by his love for this lady who dumped him and left him to wallow in the midery of a failed love. It's old school country... but a great great song.

96 Small Town (John Mellencamp)
Seymopur Indiana's own John Mellencamp has to be on the list. This song is a celebratiopn of small town USA... It's got a good message and I really like the tune.

95 Crazy (Patsy Cline)
Another classic old school country song... Little known fact, the song was actually written by Willie Nelson... In my mind, this song is the quintessential country and western song. She knows the love will lead her no where... but she just can't help it.

94 Chapel of Love (The Dixie Cups) The song is perfect simplicity... the lyrics aren't thought provoking... it's a sweet sentiment and their harmonies are incredible. I love this song.

93 One Tin Soldier (Coven/Me First and The Gimmees) This song was the theme to the first Billy jack movie... and it's kind of prachey when sung by the original artist... Coven.. but in the 90's a group called "Me First and the Gimmee's" started doing punk covers of classic tunes. Fir whatever reason. their cover of this one just works better than the original. It rocks, and the message is a little more powerful. If you've not heard these guys... you owe it to yourself to itune them... they rock.

92 The Bartender Song (Rehab)
Always a danger to place currents in a greatest ever list... but this song is just fun to sing along with... another classic story line... he loved the wronbg woman and now he's up a creek... it's fun... and you get to say the F word... what's not to like?

91 Oooh Child (The Five Stairsteps) I really like this one... It's just an optimistic song. Growing up on Cliff Street.... songs like this helped.
.....
 
90 Let's Stay Together (Al Green Let me just say this... Al Green is one bad mo fo. He puts it all together on this one... it's a great song and his perfomance is even better.

89 What's Going On? (Marvin Gaye) This song wors on so many levels.. it's an anti war... anti discrimination song that's also very pretty.

88 I Need a Lover (John Mellencamp) It's a guilty pleassure song... but i like it.

87 99 Red Balloons (Nena/Goldfinger) Nena did this one in the early 80's and it rocked... there was the German version and the American version... Goldfinger redid it in the 90's... and their version is sorta punk... with both english and german lyrics.

86 The Stroke (Billy Squire)
When this song first came out... you couldn't escape it.. it was everywhere... and to some degree it was a victim of it's own success. But that doesn't negate the fact that driving down the road with this song blaring feels great. It rocks.. I like it.

85 Stan (Eminem)
I know I'm not saying a whole heckuva lot when I say this is one of Eminem's best songs... but it's an amazing song... right up until the guy kills himself and his girlfriend. Eminem has a pretty striong delivery in this... for whatever reason it works.

84 The Way You Look Tonight (Frank Sinatra) How can you not get Frank Sinatra in your Top 100... Frank has about 100 classic tunes... this one just happens to be my favorite. he had a set of pipes and he knew how to use them.

83 Moondance (Van Morrison) I think Van Morrison is underrated. This is a pretty song with an unbelievable jazz solo in it. It puts you in a mood... I dig it.

82 Brass in Pocket (The Pretenders) Chrissy Hynde and the pretenders first big hit.

81 Detroit Rock City (Kiss)
Yes, they wore make-up and spit blood... but this song is a rock and roll anthem.
 
80 Paradise by the Dashboard Light (Meatloaf) Every now and then we'll do a wedding reception where they request this and the people go nuts. It's a classic story with a twist... Boy meets gil... boy wants to get with girl... boy has to promise undying love to do so... Meatloaf has other good songs.... Anything for love is one I really dig... but this on is his best.

79 The Living Years (Mike and the Mechanics) You could throw Leader of teh band in here too... I like the song because it touches on the strained relationship between a father and a son. I know my relationship with my dad was less than ideal... and so i can identify with the message. My fervant hope is that my boy listens to this song when he's 30 and srtuggles to understand it's meaning.

78 Night Moves (Bob Segar) In the same vein as Paradise... it's a classic coming of age song that perfectly describes the frustration and restlessness of growing up and learning about life. The fact that it's easy to sing along with helps too.


77 For You (Bruce Springsteen)
This song could have been Blinded by the Light or Growing up as well... This was a stage in Bruc's career that was about as goo as he got. Listening to any of them, you begin tio understand why he was being compared to Dylan, his lyrics weren't just thrown out to ryhme... he had the sould of a peot, and it showed. As I have a "no more than 5" rule, I couldn't put in all three... i probably like this one better than the other two... but not by much.

76 New Years Day (U2) Haunting melody, Bonno's vocals were strong. Then he got a huge ego and ruined the image. I'll give him this one though.

75 Locomotion (Little Eva/Grand Funk) There's never been a dance that's so easy to do... it even makes you happy when you're feeling blue.... Great lyric and a fun song... no matter who's singing it.

74 Be My Baby (The Ronnettes)
Aklnong with Chapel of Love, it's a simple song with a sweet message.

73 Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd) Nothing sweet about this one... Pink Floyd explored some pretty dark places with their music. Dark Side of Moon is a classic... I just don'y like those songs as much as this one.

72 Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry) White guys doing funk. Easy to dance to... strong vocal delivery... give it a 72.

71 Help (The Beatles) With room for just 5 Beatle songs in the countdown... I picked my forvorite from the early 60's to include in the list. It could have been one of 20 others from that era that were bright... bouncy and insanely catchy.

More to come
 
Damn, Stoney, you gonna steal some of my later thunder - you'll see what I'm talking about as my countdown closes in on #1 but don't worry, Coven didn't quite make the cut! You obviously have a few of the wedding standards on your list, which is understandable, given you've been listening to them for 23+ years. 'In the Living Years' is a great addition for pretty much the same reason you listed - I think of dad and racing up to Rochester every time I hear that song, almost autobiographical for us with the exception that we didn't write it, we lived it. 'Brass in Pocket' is another superb choice but I actually think 'Middle of the Road' was the Pretenders best song - maybe because I've hit that status in life and can identify with what she's saying - nevertheless, The Pretenders don't make my list.

No way I could have narrowed it down to just 5 Beatles songs - I would have been out of them before the 20's - a little indication of things to come. Thanks for joining the game!
 
There are some good songs that are showing up on your list Uncle Rich. I have to tell you that "Kyle's Mom Is a Bitch" and "Bartender" surprised me but I love them both. I also liked seeing "Stan," "99 Red Balloons'" "The Way You Look Tonight," and "Comfortably Numb" all of which just missed the cut on my list. Only one song that I really don't agree with and that is Patsy Cline's "Crazy". I heard it for the first time a couple years ago and it just seemed kind of bland. Other than that however a nice start.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?