Tuesday, May 26, 2009

 

Beadpan Banter...

This Friday the book, Beadpan Banter, will make its premiere in the Minneapolis suburb of Bloomington, Minnesota. The premiere event will be held at the local K 0f C, tickets are $5 a pop and dinner is included (nothing fancy; your standard picnic fare of hot dogs, burgers and brats). The author of the book, Brenda Elsagher, will be on hand to sign copies and proceeds from the evening will benefit local charities.

Why does all this really matter? Well, about a year ago my sister, Aimee, met Brenda while she was attending a conference at the University of Dayton. They talked for a while and Brenda mentioned she was in the process of putting together a book about people who had faced serious medical conditions. Aimee told Brenda about my battle with lymphoma; Brenda suggested I submit my story, Aimee told me about Brenda, after exchanging several e-mails I submitted my story and last November I was notified that my story would indeed be in the book. So on Friday my story, along with 109 others, will hit the bookstands. I'm sure Bedpan Banter is destined to top the New York Times' top 100 list in the very near future.

I was invited to the premiere and asked personally by Brenda to sit at the head table with her, (afterall - someone might want me to sign the book as well), but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it. I am, however, looking forward to receiving my royalties for the effort which includes an actual bed pan, a check for $25 and a signed copy of the book. I can also purchase extra copies, at a reduced cost, in the event I'd like to pass them out to all my fans. I understand John Grisham and Stephen King do this from time to time.

Seriously, I'm honored that Brenda selected my story to be in her book. She was looking for humorous or inspirational medical stories and I decided to take the inspirational route and talk about not only my battle, but also Julie's moms' battle with lung cancer. I do hope the book finds a following because proceeds will benefit several charities in the Minneapolis area. Brenda is actually a survivior of colorectal cancer and she must be very active philanthropically up in Minnesota. Here is a link to her website if you'd like to read more about her.

http://www.livingandlaughing.com/HTML/about.cfm

So, I'm just days away from scratching 'be a PAID, published author' off my 'bucket list'. I consider it quite an accomplishment. I look forward to sharing my autographed copy with everyone - I just hope I don't get writers cramp from signing countless copies of this Pulitzer worthy publication. Thanks to Brenda for making this dream come true!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?