Thursday, October 04, 2007

 

Two years Later...

As you can see in the title block, it was two years ago today that I found out I had non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Seems hard to believe that it's been that long. I know we've been through a lot, had our ups and downs but through it all I've tried to remain upbeat and not feel sorry for myself. I've tried to keep our lives as normal as possible. I realize that the lymphoma could come back at anytime; that thought is always in the back of my mind and it's hard not to dwell on it. But I've found that as long as I keep myself active and involved in things, it helps keep my mind off the negatives.

I've had a lot of great support. Julie and the kids have been wonderful. So have many of our relatives and close friends. That means a great deal to me. I remember not long after I was diagnosed I met with a man named, Chuck Scheper. I didn't know Chuck but he called out of the blue one day to offer his support. Ten years earlier he had battled the same type of lymphoma and he wanted to let me know that I could beat it. I arranged to get together with Chuck and during the course of our conversation I made the comment that I was just looking forward to my life returning to how it was prior to being diagnosed. Chuck paused and then said, "That's not going to happen. It's been over 10 years for me and my life was changed forever the day I learned I had lymphoma." Chuck's comment was very eye-opening and I realized he was probably right, life would never be like it was prior to October 4, 2005. But I have to say, Julie and the kids, our family and friends have been wonderful in the way they have helped me get through this. My life may have been changed but the way we live our lives hasn't and that's a credit to all the people who I'm blessed to go through life with.

So I've reached another October 4th. I really don't know that I want to celebrate the anniversary of the day I found out I had cancer but then again, I certainly hope I'm around for many, many, many more October 4ths. In that regard, I guess it is worth celebrating! Two years ago I found out I had lymphoma; this afternoon I'm going to go out and ref a freshman football game. What a difference two years make.

Pece and Blessings to all!

Vince

Comments:
Dear Vince -
We are so pleased to see you doing so well two years post diagnosis. Your attitude, outlook, and courage has been and continues to be an inspiration to so many of us. Heres to many many more healthy and happy years ahead.
Love,
Diane, Jim, Brian, Maria & Julie
 
Vinnie,
It's true our lives will forever be changed but many blessings have come out the struggle. You have done a wonderful job dealing with this disease with grace - it has helped the kids and helped our family move forward and not look back or dwell on what could be. I am so proud of you for taking control of your health - I can't tell you how many people comment about how great you look. And you do! Love you, Me
 
Vince,
We are all praying for you every day. I think Chuck was right, your life has changed because it has been filled with the love of some many people that you may have never known. People like Chuck! We love you, and continued good health.
Don, Jenny & Kids!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?