Thursday, May 04, 2006

 

It's Been 7 Months...

Hard to believe, but its been 7 months since I learned I have follicular lymphoma. It's been quite a ride so far and I realize we still have a ways to go. We've been very fortunate to have many of you supporting us along away...thanks to everyone!

I had an appointment with Dr. Leming yesterday. Everything appears to be progressing well. I have been feeling extremely worn out lately and he said I'm entering the phase that he calls 'The Final Mile'. He compared it to running a marathon....you've been focused on getting to the end for so long but everything you've been through has taken its toll physically and mentally. And even though the end is in sight...it might as well be 1000 miles away because you just don't have the energy or the desire to keep moving forward. You just want to feel good and you realize that its going to take a little more time to get to that point.

Fortunately I have a lot of things going on that help keep me busy. (That also might be a contributing factor to why I feel so worn out!) All I know is Julie and I were both excited this morning when we realized we'll be able to spend this evening at home! We've been running so much that an evening at home sounds pretty nice.

Tomorrow (May 5) we're going to a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. One of Julie's friends, Diane Faigle, is running for the LLS's Woman of the Year and her sister is hosting a Cinco de Mayo fundraiser for her. If you live in Cincinnati and might like to attend, send me an e-mail at hopkinsv@xavier.edu and I'll send you a flyer via e-mail. It's only $20 per person and it includes food, drinks and games.

I'd like to send out Get Well wishes to my sister, Aimee. She had surgery earlier this week and is faced with a life-changing recovery period. She's been very supportive of me through my journey and I wish her well with hers. If all goes well, and I'm sure it will, her health will be better than it has been in many, many years.

Also this weekend, we will be celebrating Don and Joan Schmitt's (Julie's uncle and aunt) 50th wedding anniversary! Congrats to Don and Joan for 50 years of wedded bliss. (Although you'd have to ask Joan just how many of the years were truly 'blissful'!) Anyway, there will be a big party Saturday night at St. Gertrudes and knowing Don, everyone who reads this blogsite is probably invited so maybe we'll see you there.

Finally, I'm going to attempt to run the final 3 miles of the Flying Pig Marathon on Sunday. A couple weeks ago I wouldn't have thought this would be a problem but given the way I've felt the past several days, I think its going to be a struggle. I'll be running with Jim Pustinger, a fellow LLS board member, who is running in honor of me. I'm hoping that once I get out there, the adrenaline will start to flow and carry Jim and me to the finish line. I guess we'll see. Next year, after all this is behind us, I'll get out there and run the whole damn thing with Jim!

I guess that covers everything. Thanks again to everyone for your prayers and support. Even though its getting a little tough down the stretch, it would be lightyears more difficult witout all of you!

Peace and Blessings!!

Comments:
Vince, Thanks for the update.Wow,it is so great about the Pig Marathon.For someone to try this undertaking, we have great admiration and respect.Vince, through the updates it as if we can hear you talking and we can even see you smiling:) You give us a boost and we thank you so much..Love, The Jacksons
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?