Thursday, December 08, 2005

 

Let's Get It Started.....

I'm sure many of you are checking back in today to learn the results of yesterday's meeting with Dr. Leming. The results of the scans indicated that there has been a slight increase in the lymphoma since I was first diagnosed. Given this, Dr. Leming has suggested that we begin treatments. I had hoped that we could hold things off until the first of the year but on the other hand, starting three weeks earlier should mean that we will be through every thing 3 weeks earlier, right?

To be honest I'm a bit relieved that we are going to start treatments. Walking around knowing you have a serious illness and also realizing you're not doing anything to get better is a bit nerve-wracking.

We still need to work out all the details but here is the basic plan. Next Tuesday I will have my first treatment of a drug called Rituxan. This has been very successful in immediately reducing the size of the lymph nodes. Dr. Leming said for 8 out of 10 patients there are no problems taking this drug but in a few cases the patients can have an adverse reaction to the initial treatment. For that reason, they take up to 6 hours to administer the first treatment. After that, receiving the Rituxan should not take nearly as long. After the treatment on Tuesday, I will take Prednizone for five straight days. I won't have any other treatments until after the new year.

Following the holidays we will begin a treatment cycle of CHOP chempotherapy and Rituxin every 3 weeks for 6 treatments. Dr. Leming showed us the results of a study which we are hoping to link to which shows that this form of treatment has had a positive and dramatic impact in the treatment of people with follicular lymphoma. The date this study was published was November 20, 2005...as Dr. Leming said, the timing was very good for me. All along he has said that I should be able to handle the treatments. He said most people are able to work, etc. He said I should do my best to continue excercising and working out. (I've gained 10 pounds since finding out I have lymphoma so this is a good thing!) Admittedly I'm a bit nervous (OK, I'm lying....I'm very nervous) about getting started but I think once I get into the cycles and see how I'm going to feel, I'll be able to deal with this a little better. Right now there are just so many 'unknowns'.

Dr. Leming said the treatments will probably last 6 months followed up by a monthly maintenance treatment of Rituxan. The entire treatment cycle could last up to a year. They are going to put a port in my chest for the administering of the
treatments. Apparently this is a lot better than having to go into a vein every time
you get treated.

There are other things that we need to work out between now and the first of the year but I think I've covered all the major issues. Again, I'm relieved that we are going to get started, a new leg of this 'journey' is about to begin.

I would like to say a few words about my family. The kids get on me that I never say anything about them on the 'blog'. It should go without saying that my family is and will always be my inspiration and motivation to get through this. Julie, Judd, Aaron and Abbey have been tremendously strong through these first couple months. Our home continues to be filled with love and laughter. I'm sure they all worry about me but I think they realize I will do whatever it takes to get my health back. I also hope they realize just how special they are to me, how much I love them and how proud I am of them. They are the most wonderful treasures of my life.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, concerns and prayers. We are very blessed to have you in our lives. Peace and Blessings....

Vince

Comments:
Vince,

I am glad you are being treated now.You'll be glad to get it going! and you will do great with Rituxan. Yes,the first treatment takes a long time, but after that its not as long. It's a neat drug (monoclonal antibody) which only attacks your "bad" cells and leaves the "good" cells alone. YEAH to the port!!!!!! You'll be so much happier with that. You continue in our prayers! Love, Maureen
 
Vince-The girls & I are always keeping you, Julie, & the kids in our prayers, but we'll pray even harder now that treatments are starting. Since we've been that route we can understand a little of your nervousness; I'm sure you'll do well. Our love & prayers, Marian & girls
 
Vince, Sounds like you are in such great hands....The doctors seem so upbeat and knowledgeable. You have so many supportive friends and what can we say about your family? There is a terrific base of love and unity set long ago in your family. It has a strong and enduring foundation and you will always find comfort and love because it is woven in the very fabric of your family. Sounds like these upcoming treatments too will be part of your family. We bet though you will bind together and lift each other over any hurdles.
We have seen your family in action:)
Love and prayers, Jim and Mary
 
Hey Pudley,

Seems just like yesterday that we were serving dinners at the Cork & (Clevage) Clever or tossing raw eggs into that guys car that we couldn't stand. Hard to believe that you are almost 50. That's right I'm still younger than you and like usual would still dog you on the bball court. Although, I'm certain that you would out run me.

Vinney, I know that distance has a knack for keeping people at arms length but as you know my feelings for our friendship are nothing short of the Hopkins - McCormick Camero fight. By the way, when did you fall off the roof in 1975 (Stoney)???

It's great to hear that you are moving forward. Although the node has grown slightly it would seem as if it is "no" match for the strong team surrounding you. From your doctors, to your friends, to your family, you are encompassed by the strength that God has empowered us with. Glory, glory to God. Glory to God in the highest. Be confident Vince that with the Lord's hand your future is bright and full of love.

I miss you my friend!

Yours, Penick
aka WP
 
Vince,

Good luck with the treatment! Also, Go Bucks against ND!

Rodney Lester (SanDiegoPoke)
 
glad to hear all is going well.thanks for keeping us all informed.take care of each other-love linda
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?