Wednesday, December 14, 2005

 

It figures...I'm one of the 2 out of 10....

Well, one treatment down and six to eight to go! Yesterday was quite an experinece. First, I was very nervous and anxious to get going. Couple that with the unknown about what I was about to experience and I was pretty much a basket case. Once I got started with the Rituxan drip I relaxed a bit and got to know some of my 'neighbors' down at the 'Infusion Room'. It turned out that the woman sitting next to me was a co-worker's (Mark McLaughlin) mother-in-law who has the same lymphoma I have. Mark had told me a little about her and she is doing very well - she's been clean for a while and simply going in for maintenance treatments of Rituxan. Rather ironic that we would sit next to each other - another example that it's a small world in Cincinnati.

Everything was going smoothly and around 2 PM Julie ran out to get us some lunch. When she left they increased the drip on the Rituxan because I wasn't having any reactions. Julie returned around 2:30 and while we were eating, I noticed that my belly was starting to itch. I lifted up my shirt and I had red splothes all over - I was having an allergic reaction to the Rituxan. So they turned off the drip and gave me an extra dose of Benedryl. After about an hour, they put the drip back on at its slowest rate and after awhile the rash started going away and I was fine the rest of the way. They even had it dripping pretty quickly at the end of the treatment. The good news is, you usually don't have any problems with the Rituxan after the first treatment so it sohlud go a lot smoother from now on. As an example, yesterday took almost 7 hours for the infusion, the next time it should 'only' take 3 hours. As I said in my previous post 8 out 10 people don't even have problems with the first dose so consider me part of the 2 out of 10!

Today I started on Predizone...I'll take it for 5 days and then be off until I start the CHOP chemo in early January. There are a couple other drugs I'll be taking as well but at this time I'm not really sure what they all do. As long as the end result is it gets rid of the lymphoma, I have no problems with it. Actually I think the other drugs are to counter potential side-effects of the other drugs. Dr. Leming knows what he's doing so I'll just do what he says to do.

I have to admit for the first time since we started this 'journey' I feel like we're doing something about the lymphoma. It seemed somewhat strange to sit back and watch when I knew that something bad was possibly spreading within me. But in hindsight it turned out to be a well-timed decision. The results of a clinical study involving CHOP/Rituxan treatments for follicular lymphoma were released on November 20 and the results of the study were so encouraging that Dr. Leming decided it was the way I should be treated. I'm not sure but had we started in October, I would have probably been on a different course of treatment. So while the waiting was extremely nerve-wracking, it may have been the best possible thing to do.

I continue to find strength in my family, friends and our parish community at St. Susanna. Julie and the kids have been wonderful. I had a great conversation with Julie's mom, Vivvy, last night driving home from the doctor's office. Her recovery from surgery for lung cancer has been nothing short of a miracle. She is an inspiration to us all. It is so comforting knowing there are so many people out there praying for you. Yesterday as I looked around the 'Infusion Room' at the 13 reclining chairs which were constantly filled throughout the day it made me realize that I'm certainly not the only person who is dealing with something like this. That scene is played out every day in doctors rooms across the world - today those seats will be filled with 13 different people continuously from 8AM to 7PM. I guess that's what amazes me about Dr. Leming. I don't know how many patients he has but if he treats them all the same way he treats me, then they know he cares. He takes the time to explain everything to you and he lets you know that everything is going to be fine. I don't know if it would have made a difference, probably not, but I wish I would have known about him when my mom had lung cancer. Even if it would have been the same result, I know Dr. Leming would have treated her with compassion and dignity.

I would like to make a couple thank-you's. Things have been rather hectic, as you might expect, and as a result we still hadn't gotten a Christmas tree. Julie called our friend, Billy Wersel of Sharon Nursery, and he said he'd bring one over for us. So when we got home last night, our tree was set-up in the stand and ready for decoration. Steve Bruce and the kids set it up after Billy delivered it. We got it decorated last night. So thanks to Billy and Steve for helping to get our house into a festive mood...you guys are awesome.

I think that covers everything for now. I'd appreciate it if you would include my new friends down at the 'Chemo Parlor' in your prayers as well. I'm sure it would be OK to share the wealth.

As always, Peace and Blessings to all!

Vince

Comments:
hi glad to hear your treatment went well-even if you are 2. i will inclued all your friends at the chemo parlor.hello to julie and kids. linda
 
Hi Vince,

I'm glad to hear your treatment went well. Tom had to deal with an allergic reaction to one of his drugs also. It is interesting to read your blog. I remember sitting in the Chemo room with Tom realizing that I never knew so many people were dealing with cancer. The chairs there were also always full. The atmosphere was so positive though and you are right you are definately not in this alone. You and all people dealing with cancer and other illness are in my prayers.

hang in there.

Jan Holden
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?