Wednesday, October 12, 2005

 

The Bone Marrow Exam

Yesterday I had my bone marrow exam. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They gave me several drugs which put me in a fairly relaxed state, numbed up the areas where they went in to get the specimen (they went in on both sides of my hips)and then drilled in and got the marrow specimen. The actual procedure took less than 10 minutes. Today, I feel fine. It's a little sore where they went in to get the marrow but not bad enough to keep me from going on my lunchtime run.

On Friday, I go in for a PET scan. This is to look at my organs to determine if any of the lymphoma has spread to these parts. Once all these tests are completed they'll be able to 'stage' where I am and start to map out a strategy for treatment. I have to admit I'm a little anxious to get into the treatment mode but Dr. Leming continues to assure me that we have plenty of time and everything will work out.

We have an appointment scheduled for next Wednesday (10/19/05) at 4:40 PM to go over the test results. We'll be praying that this appointment goes well and we'll then know how we're going to proceed. We plan to bring our kids with us on that appointment. Dr. Leming encouraged us to do this, he said it should help ease any anxieties the kids may have.

Again, we thank you all for your loving support. Next Tuesday (10/18/05) the Xavier community will be holding a Mass for me at noon in the Bellarmine Chapel. If you would like to attend please feel free to do so. Fr. Albert Bischoff, SJ will be the presider.

On Monday I talked with a friend from Mason, Tom Holden, who has been fighting leukemia for over a year. Tom is doing well and he said to give him a call whenever I have questions or simply feel like talking. He said he still has 11 months left in his treatments so please remember Tom in your prayers, as well.

I would like to ask that you also remember several others in your prayers. There are several St. Susanna Parishioners who are also dealing with a form of cancer; our neighbor, Ken Murawski, was diagnosed with leukemia in late July and a little girl in Abbey's class, Kelly Pittocco, was diagnosed with non Hodgkins lymphoma just a week or so before me. In addition, a mother of classmates of our boys, Marcia Koepfle, is currently being treated for breast cancer. Please keep Ken, Kelly, Marcia, Tom and their families in your prayers.

We'll continue to provide you with updates as often as possible. Peace, love and blessings to all.

Comments:
Hey Vince,

SanDiegoPoke here. Glad to hear you're still running :-) I have another friend fighting a rare kidney cancer. She's been in various chemo's for 6 months and is slowly making progress.

Hopefully, you'll kick yours soon and be ready for the next 20 years of Ohio State football!

Take care,

Rodney Lester
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?