Friday, October 21, 2005

 

Appointment with Dr. Leming...

Well, I tried to post yesterday from home but for some reason it didn't work out. I blame it on the fact that we have three kids at home who have our computers so screwed up that you never know what you're going to get, fortunately they don't have access to my computer at work.

As Jeanne posted on Wednesday, our meeting with Dr. Leming went very well. To date I have had no treatments for the lymphoma but the 'treatments' this doctor has administered for our 'peace of mind' has been far more important. We know we can beat what I have and we know we could not be in better hands.

We brought our kids with us to the appointment and Dr. Leming did a wonderful job of explaining my situation to them. He emphasized that their dad was not going to be 'keeling over' and that he (their dad) was going to be around for a long, long time. Being their dad, I was quite pleased to hear that!!

The appointment was a follow-up to learn the results of my bone marrow and PET scans. The tests revealed that there probably are some lymphoma cells in the bone marrow...Dr. Leming said that would be normal for my diagnosis. There are also some lymph nodes in my abdomen but nothing to the point where I would have any symptoms. He said I am in no immediate danger, for all intent and purposes I am healthy.

Dr. Leming is leaning toward recommending we take a 'wait and see' approach. He thinks it could be worthwhile to take a couple months and then look at how my situation has progressed by redoing the bone marrow and PET scans. At that time he could compare the first tests with the second tests and determine how quickly (or slowy) things are moving. Of course the big question is, am I comfortable taking this approach? If not, Dr. Leming said we could start looking at potential treatments and studys and move into that mode sooner than later. He was very confident in stressing that it would make no difference whether we start now or later and that symptoms would not start popping up if we do take the wait and see approach. So we are going to take a week to absorb all this, talk to some other people who have also dealt with follicular lymphoma, look for guidance through prayer and then make a decision on how to proceed. I'm sure everyone probably has an opinion. Our kids think I should do treatments now. Julie feels the wait and see approach makes sense. I think I could be comfortable waiting but I don't want to worry the kids. So we'll see what kind of wisdom comes our way over the next week.

We know there are many people out there lifting our family up in prayer. We want you to know that we feel this love and support and truly do believe these prayers are being heard and answered. Thank you all for being there for us. Please continue to pray for our friends; the Murawskis', the Pitocco's, the Koepfles' and the Holdens' who are also battling a cancer situation within their respective families. I have also learned that several co-workers have family members who are battling a type of lymphoma. Please pray for them, as well. And lets all pray that the wonderful and talented doctors and scientists worldwide will be able to find the answers to curing all forms of cancers.

Peace, Love and Blessings to all!

Vince

Comments:
Vince--

I'll keep the prayers coming and include all the others you mentioned.

Mike

PS: I'm still po'd about the ND slamming on the ealier blog!
 
Dear Vince:

This website is from Tom's uncle, Tom Miller: www.Ic-medtech.com. I have ordered you the book, The End of Cancer. It is supposed to be here Wednesday. I will drop it by.

Just some info that I hope is useful!

Shelley Hunt
 
That's all great news Vince, Julie and kids. We'll pray for the wisdom you mentioned and your other friends in need.

Love,

Jim J
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?